Ask the Engineer
What is laser cutting?
Laser cutting is one of the most precise methods of cutting a design from a variety of different materials. The CNC machine, which does the cutting, is programmed to cut whatever design the client wants. From simple rectangles to precise, intricately designed pieces, laser cutting is your best option for most applications.
What materials can we cut?
Lasers are an efficient and effective choice for cutting steel, stainless, and aluminium. Materials can be laser cut with high levels of accuracy; our laser-cutting equipment is capable of positioning tolerances +/- 0.1mm and repeatability +/- 0.025mm.
With sheet sizes up to 1500mm x 3000mm and thicknesses up thru 20mm for steel, 15mm for stainless steel, and 10mm for aluminium, we can accommodate most part requirements.
Advantages of Laser Cutting
Laser cutting has many benefits when it comes to the production of parts and products.
- Capable of cutting many materials and thicknesses
- Cutting narrow kerf widths, which promotes efficient part nesting, yielding better sheet utilisation and material savings
- Easily and accurately repeatable
- Reduced time for set-up with the ability to react and adapt quickly to changing production needs that are market or quantity driven
- Efficient processing, as multiple jobs or parts can be nested and cut in a single program.
- No secondary clean-up process required for most materials and is usually ready for immediate shipment
Disadvantages of Laser Cutting
While some disadvantages to laser cutting exist, the benefits far outweigh the downsides, and in most cases, QuTec mitigates these disadvantages:
- High power consumption – QuTec continually invests in new equipment to utilize the latest technologies available
- Can be expensive vs. processes (plasma or punching)
- Rate of production depends on the material – QuTec utilises high wattage lasers to keep cutting speeds high, even for thicker materials
- Poorly adjust lasers can cause burning – QuTec has years of experience and modern technology to minimize this
- Difficulty cutting reflective metals (like copper, brass, and sometimes aluminium) – while our lasers cannot cut copper or brass, we are able to cut aluminium with excellent edge quality and high cutting speeds
QuTec has many years of experience with laser cutting. Our years of experience in the market allow us to know if laser cutting is the right solution for you. We focus on finding businesses that need a fabrication and metal cutting partner that is going to provide them with a great product and great service.