Ask the Engineer
What is pressing/stamping?
The Presswork process is a key element of various manufacturing businesses including car manufacturing. Even though plastics are widely used, they do not always offer the same strength or versatility that metal can and that’s why metal presswork is still key.
Advantages of pressing/stamping
- One of the biggest benefits of the presswork process is that it is suitable for a wide range of different applications. Indeed, the presswork process is incredibly versatile.
- Power presses come in a variety of forms and have evolved over many years of development. Most presses are still mechanical which provides a single blow of defined tonnage and stroke. More modern presses are hydraulic or pneumatic which can offer a variable tonnage with an adjustable stroke. The choice of the press should be dictated by the component required.
- The pressing process also provides a high level of strength for relatively thin parts. Again, it guarantees that it is possible to deliver a high-quality component that clients want and expect. This doesn’t change based on the presswork machine you choose. They all provide similar characteristics in the component produced on a repeatable basis, regardless of whether the machine is pneumatic, manual, or hydraulic.
- With suitable tooling, a power press can be used to produce a wide range of components for a variety of industries. Just as we do here at QuTec Pershore Ltd.
- This process can also be completed at a reasonable price. Despite high energy consumption presswork is often an affordable solution and will fit the budget of numerous businesses.
- It’s also easy to make parts in various materials and thicknesses. Presswork is usually associated with high-volume production.
Disadvantages of pressing/stamping
There are several disadvantages to be aware of when using presswork.
- First, a presswork machine needs to be correctly maintained and have the correct safety guards fitted. It also needs to be set-up by a qualified technician. It must also be the correct power press for the application required. That’s why it’s important to choose a business that is using a variety of well-maintained presses like QuTec.
- It is important to have the correct tooling to install in the power presses to produce the component you require. In most instances, more than one tool will be required. Generally, this is what will require the most investment to manufacture the parts that are required. At QuTec we can offer a design & manufacturing service for press tooling.
- It’s also important to be aware that these machines are designed to operate at high speeds. As such, the process is largely efficient providing the correct tooling is in place and well maintained. Also, a sufficient quantity of components is required to justify the tooling investment required
- Presswork is a process that imposes some limitations on the component design. However, the combination of a suitable power press and well-designed press tooling offers an extremely cost-effective method of manufacture.